After the Second World War deep-sea fisheries started operating again in the German Democratic Republic although initially only small luggers were sent out in an attempt to fight food shortages. In 1952, the state enterprises (VEB) “Rostock Fishing Combine” and “Sassnitz Fishing Combine” were founded, replacing some earlier companies. Whereas the Sassnitz Fishing Combine fished the nearer fishing grounds in the Baltic and along the Norwegian Coast, the Rostock Fishing Combine concentrated on the more distant ocean fishing grounds.
Three different types of side trawlers were designed for the East German deep-sea fishing industry from 1952 onwards. These were virtually identical to the West German side trawlers. When these side trawlers with more powerful engines were commissioned, the radius could be enlarged and fishing grounds around Iceland reached. In the early days the fishing vessels were often captained by West Germans since the training of qualified personnel in East Germany was still in its teething stages.
The Rostock Fishing Combine operated 25 side trawlers. In 1980 the last East German side trawler was taken out of service. The collapse of the political system in East Germany also meant the economic end of the Rostock Fishing Combine.back